World Heart Day is an annual observance which is held on September 29 every year around the world by the World Heart Foundation to raises people’s awareness about cardiovascular diseases which is the main cause of death. This day promotes preventative action to lessen the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
History of World Heart Day
World Heart Day was proclaimed in 1999, and it was first celebrated last Sunday of September every year, from 2000 to 2010. It was a momentous event recognized by the World Heart Federation (WHF) in 2000. From 2011, the date was changed to September 29, so World Heart Day celebrated annually on September 29.
World Heart Day was made to tell all people from the world that heart disease and stroke are the most significant cause of death all over the world. World Heart Federation work together with their organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO) to spread the news of the premature death from the heart disease and its factors that how heart disease produced. These risk factors are tobacco intake, alcohol intake, lack of physical exercise, and an unhealthy diet. If we controlled these factors, then we will control 80% premature death from heart disease. In 2005, around 17.5 million people died from cardiovascular disease which is representing 30% of all the world’s death.
The theme of World Heart Day
Every year World Heart Day is celebrated with a specific theme. Many events and activities are organized according to this day theme. These themes enhance more awareness in people. Past ten years theme of World Heart Day are given below:
- The theme of World Heart Day 2018: “My Heart, Your Heart.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2017: “Share the power.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2016: “Light Your Heart, Empower Your Life.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2015: “Creating heart-healthy environments.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2014: “Heart Choices NOT Hard Choices.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2013: “Take the road to a healthy heart.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2012: “One World, One Heart, One Home.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2011: “One World, One Heart, One Home.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2009-10: “I Work with Heart.”
- The theme of World Heart Day 2008: “Know your Risk.”
How people celebrated this day?
On World Heart Day many events and activities are organized around the world to promote this day and enhancing people’s awareness. Many government and non-government organizations, charity groups and many other organizations celebrate World Heart Day and promote the campaign by many events like fun runs sports events, concerts, heart check-up camps, public talks, stage shows, fitness session, exhibition, science forums, and many others. The world heart federation also organized many events in more than 100 countries promote this day with the collaboration of many other organizations.
This day aims to motivate all the people and allow people to take part in events and make this day successful and also to raise awareness about the factors which makes the world free from heart disease. People also planned for their celebration, and they also share healthy heart pics on social media sites.
Is it a Public holiday?
The World Heart Day is an annual observance day and not a public holiday.